Would you like to know each time we add an announcement to the site? Subscribe to our RSS feed by clicking on the orange and white icon below. (Using Chrome? You may want to install the RSS Feed Reader for easier viewing of the feed.)
A Better FAFSA Process Means a Better Future for Everyone
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) process has changed to implement provisions of the FUTURE Act and the FAFSA Simplification Act. At a high level, the FAFSA changes are a significant overhaul of the FAFSA system, including an updated FAFSA form, need analysis, and provisions to many of the policies and procedures used by schools.
The FAFSA changes are being implemented in phases, with full implementation of major provisions in the 2024–25 award year.
The changes will provide
- a more streamlined application process,
- expanded eligibility for federal student aid, and
- a new user experience for the FAFSA form.
Use the resources on this page to communicate with students and families about what to anticipate and how they can navigate these changes.
Note: These resources are for your use in your messaging. Please do not point students, parents, or borrowers to this website for financial aid information. Instead, send them to StudentAid.gov.
Resources for Reference and Outreach
Below you'll find resources about the FAFSA changes.
- FAFSA® Changes Overview fact sheet:* Highlights key information you need to know to help prepare students and parents for the changes to the FAFSA form and process.
- 2024–25 FAFSA® Form Preview Presentation:* Provides screenshots of the online FAFSA form, which you can use as you create your own presentations for students and families.
- Summary of Early Changes for 2023–24 fact sheet:* Details the phased implementation of the FAFSA changes, including changes that were implemented for the 2023–24 award year.
- Students With Unusual Circumstances fact sheet: Explains what unusual circumstances are, what changed on the FAFSA form, and what happens after the student applies for aid.
- "5 Things College Access Professionals Should Know" webpage: Includes key details about the FAFSA changes to help you guide students through the FAFSA process.
- "Expected Family Contribution (EFC) to Student Aid Index (SAI)" webpage: Discusses the change to SAI and explores how this change and the separate eligibility determination criteria for Federal Pell Grants may expand access to federal student aid.
- "FAFSA® Changes FAQs" webpage: Provides answers to frequently asked questions to help you understand the FAFSA changes.
- Better FAFSA® Better Future infographic:* Includes information about the FAFSA changes and impacts in a graphic format that can be shared with additional audiences.
- Better FAFSA® Better Future Overview video: Highlights how the FAFSA changes will benefit applicants.
- 2024–25 FAFSA® Changes sample email: Offers updates about the upcoming FAFSA changes and ways students and families can stay informed.
- 2024–25 FAFSA® Prototype: Helps counselors and mentors gain a deeper understanding of the 2024–25 FAFSA user experience ahead of the form's release.
- FAFSA® Changes: An Overview webinar: Provides an overview of the FAFSA changes, including the contributor role, the StudentAid.gov account requirement, the SAI, the requirement for consent and approval to have federal tax information transferred, and the changes to special and unusual circumstances.
- Special Student Populations and Circumstances for the 2024–25 FAFSA® Form webinar: Helps college access professionals guide students with special and unusual circumstances, and students who are at risk of or experiencing homelessness, through the FAFSA process. This webinar covers key terminology, how to navigate the professional judgment process, and what documentation students may need to provide.
- Resources to Effectively Engage Families for Upcoming FAFSA® Changes webinar: Explores how tools and resources can help students and families complete the FAFSA form and navigate the financial aid process. This webinar also covers the 2024–25 FAFSA changes and general application timelines.
- 2024–25 FAFSA® Demonstration webinar: Shares a tour of the new features in the FAFSA form and discusses important updates to the FAFSA experience, including the new roles page, how to invite contributors, the new question order, the student demographic questions, the parent wizard, and other features. This demonstration shows a scenario of a dependent student with married parents who file a joint tax return.
*The Department of Education strives to make all content accessible to everyone. While this document does not currently meet the standards of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, Federal Student Aid is working to create accessible versions. For immediate assistance on receiving a 508 compliant document, please send us a written request including the title of the document, date of the request, and your email address to:
Federal Student Aid Information Center
P.O. Box 84
Washington, DC 20044
Federal Student Aid Resources
Stay up to date about federal student aid.
Federal Student Aid Partner Emails: Subscribe to receive email communications from Federal Student Aid.
Federal Student Aid Outreach YouTube Channel: Watch webinar recordings and other videos for college access professionals.