Would you like to know each time we add an announcement to the site? Subscribe to our RSS feed by clicking on the orange and white icon below. (Using Chrome? You may want to install the RSS Feed Reader for easier viewing of the feed.)
Starting Now: Improvements to the Student, Parent, and Borrower Experience
Big Next Gen Launch Coming Soon
Two years ago, we announced the Next Gen Federal Student Aid (Next Gen FSA) initiative, which takes big steps toward improving the way students, parents, and borrowers interact with and access the benefits of the programs administered by Federal Student Aid.
The newest launch of Next Gen FSA implementation kicked off with the consolidation of multiple websites into a single, digital front door: StudentAid.gov. As of Dec. 22, students, parents, and borrowers can access all the information and tools they currently use through an improved interface.
In the new video "The Digital Future of Federal Student Aid," we describe what students and borrowers can expect from Next Gen FSA in the future.
As we move forward in 2020, additional tools will be introduced that will continue to improve the customer experience for students, parents, and borrowers, who will be able to do the following and more:
- Get personalized information about the aid they received
- Simulate their loan repayment options to find a strategy that meets their needs
- Receive counseling about their remaining loan and grant eligibility, make informed borrowing decisions, and manage their existing debt
- Access chat functionality that will provide them with specific answers to their questions
- Plan and maintain eligibility for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
Eventually, borrowers will be able to repay their loans through StudentAid.gov as we deliver on the promise of providing a single portal where our customers can manage every aspect of their federal student aid.
Federal Student Aid Website URL Redirect List
As part of the Next Gen initiative, the StudentLoans.gov and former StudentAid.ed.gov web pages are now being redirected to the new pages on StudentAid.gov so as not to disrupt the student, parent, and borrower experience. View a comprehensive list of all the old and new links. This list will be updated on an ongoing basis as other Federal Student Aid website content and functionality are consolidated into StudentAid.gov.
All former URLs will be redirected to the new location except outdated ones. It is strongly recommended that webmasters and content owners of external websites linking to FSA websites update the URLs so their websites will not be adversely affected for the future updates and upgrades.
Resources for Reference and Outreach
The resources below will be particularly useful as you prepare to help students, parents, and borrowers with the new site.
- Next Gen StudentAid.gov Walkthrough and Coming Attractions: FSA Conference Session video—In early December 2019, FSA provided an overview of our plans for a new digital platform which combines four websites (StudentLoans.gov, StudentAid.gov, FSA ID, and NSLDS) along with their corresponding functionalities. FSA described specific features to highlight the improved experience for our students and borrowers. View the session's PowerPoint slides.
- Next Gen FSA Sample Tweet 1—Sample tweet with GIF showing the four websites combining into a new digital platform. Retweet to share information with the students, borrowers, and parents who follow you.
- Next Gen FSA Sample Facebook Post 1—Sample Facebook post with GIF showing the four websites combining into a new digital platform. Share with the students, borrowers, and parents.
- Next Gen FSA Sample Tweet 2—Sample tweet with video describing what students and borrowers can expect from Next Gen FSA in the future. Retweet to share information with the students, borrowers, and parents who follow you.
- Next Gen FSA Sample Facebook Post 2—Sample Facebook post with video describing what students and borrowers can expect from Next Gen FSA in the future. Share with the students, borrowers, and parents.
February 05, 2020